Get wrinkles out of a silk shirt by first turning the shirt inside out and laying it flat on an ironing board so that the dull backside is facing upwards. Use a spray bottle to add moisture to the wrinkled areas of the shirt before placing a cotton pressing cloth overtop. Turn the iron on to the lowest heat setting possible and activate the steam setting. Gently and cautiously use the iron to hand press the shirt until all the wrinkles have been completely removed.
This is How to Get Wrinkles Out of a Silk Shirt: Complete Guide.
Our article How to Get Wrinkles Out of a Silk Shirt gives you step-by-step instructions on a variety of different methods you can use to get wrinkles out of your silk shirt.
Provide the proper laundry care to your silk shirts by reviewing our step-by-step guides, below.
How to Get Wrinkles Out of a Silk Shirt
The most effective way to remove wrinkles from a silk shirt is by ironing. Using an iron can get even the most stubborn wrinkles and creases out of silk, and can be done quickly and easily at home.
If you do not have access to an iron there are still several other ways to straighten your silk shirt. Steaming is the next best method to use when getting wrinkles out of silk shirts, and can also be done easily at home.
If you enjoy wearing silk shirts, be sure to check out our collection of premium 100% silk dress shirts for men.
If you're looking for new outfit ideas, take a look at our guide on How to Wear a Silk Shirt.
How to Get Wrinkles Out of a Silk Shirt Using an iron
Using an iron is the best way to remove wrinkles from your silk shirt. Follow the steps below in order to get wrinkles out of a silk shirt using an iron.
Things You'll Need:
- An iron
- A spray bottle filled with water
- An ironing board
- A thin cotton press cloth (ex. bandana, pillowcase, handkerchief)
- A clean silk shirt
How to Iron a Silk Shirt:
- Turn the shirt inside out and lay it flat and evenly on the ironing board, so that the dull side of the fabric is facing skywards. Always iron silk from the dull backside and never the glossy frontside.
- Use a spray bottle filled with water to add moisture to your silk shirt. The shirt should be slightly damp, but not soaking wet.
- Cover the area you wish to iron with a cotton press cloth. This can be a bandana, pillowcase, t-shirt, or thin cloth. Never press a hot iron directly onto silk fabric. Always keep a press cloth in between the silk and the iron.
- Turn the iron on to the lowest heat setting possible. If your iron has a silk setting, use that. The low setting may also be referred to as delicate or gentle.
- Hand press the iron on to the wrinkled areas, always keeping the press cloth in between. Do not slide the iron back and forth. Briefly press the iron down on a specific area, then lift, and reapply.
- Continue until all the wrinkles have been completely removed.
- Hang or lay flat to air dry in a cool place, out of contact with direct sunlight.
How to Get Wrinkles Out of a Silk Shirt Using a Steamer
Yes, steamers can be used to get wrinkles out of silk! Follow the steps below to learn how to steam a silk shirt properly.
- Fill the steamer's water tank with fresh clean water. Be sure to replace any old, stale water that may have been left in the water tank to avoid discoloring the silk shirt.
- Power the steamer on. The steamer should be fully powered within 90 seconds.
- Make sure the steamer isn't spitting or leaking hot water.
- Turn the silk shirt inside out and hang.
- Begin to steam the shirt using long downward strokes.
- Use your free hand to add tension to your shirt while you run the steamer around it. This will help the steamer to do its job.
- Continue steaming until your silk shirt is completely wrinkle free.
- Lay flat or hang to air dry in a cool place out of contact with direct sunlight.
Continue reading: How to Steam Silk
How to Get Wrinkles Out of a Silk Shirt Using Hot Shower Water
If you do not have access to an iron or a steamer, you can still get wrinkles out of your silk shirt using hot shower water! The steam created by the hot water will have a similar effect as a steamer does, and is an effective method for getting wrinkles out of silk shirts.
- Close the door in your bathroom to lock the air and steam inside.
- Do not turn on the bathroom's fan.
- Turn the water in the shower on. If you are getting in to the shower yourself, use a comfortable but warm water temperature. If you are not personally using the shower, turn the temperature to the highest heat setting possible.
- Hang your silk shirt near the shower. Hang your shirt at the highest height possible (heat rises).
- Make sure the buttons on your shirt are done up properly.
- Let the shower run for 10-20 minutes.
- Once finished, allow your shirt to hang dry in a cool dim place.
How to Wash a Silk Shirt
How to Get Wrinkles Out of a Silk Shirt FAQ
How do you get wrinkles out of a silk shirt without an iron?
If you do not have an iron, the next best option for getting wrinkles out of your silk shirt is by using a steamer. Use steam by either hanging your silk shirt near a hot shower, or by using a hand held steam machine.
Do wrinkles come out of silk?
Use an iron or a steamer to take the wrinkles out of silk. An iron is the most effective way to get wrinkles out of silk, and will fix even the most stubborn creases and wrinkles.
Can you iron a silk shirt?
Yes, you can iron a silk shirt. Turn your silk shirt inside out and lay it flat on the ironing board. Use a spray bottle filled with water to add moisture to the fabric. Lay a cotton press cloth overtop of the area you wish to iron, and proceed to turn the iron on to the lowest heat setting possible. Once ready, use the iron to hand press the silk shirt and continue until all wrinkles have been completely removed.